In 2012 the Parks and Recreation Foundation of Victoria established its Horticultural Fund after a generous donation by Ian Back of Victoria.
Mr. Back had a lifelong interest in and felt there was a need for a fund to support horticultural projects in the Greater Victoria area. His initial donation established an endowment fund hosted at the Victoria Foundation. The Parks and Recreation Foundation of Victoria Receives the annual income distributed at the Victoria Foundation.
The purpose of the Horticultural Fund is to encourage and assist in the development of horticultural initiatives such as community gardens and enhanced green spaces throughout the Greater Victoria area.
The following projects and organizations were supported by grants from the fund since its establishment:
- Yates Street Community Garden in downtown Victoria
- Outdoor classroom and naturalized playground at Margaret Jenkins School
- Community Gardens in Gorge Park developed by the Gorge Tillicum Community Association
- Greening of school grounds at Quadra School
- Orchard tool shed at Sunriver Community Gardens in Sooke
- Renewal of Fern Street Park by the North Jubilee Neighbourhood Association
- Planting of Gary Oaks at the St. Ann’s Academy Greenway
- Rhododendrons in Henderson Park in Oak Bay
- Feeding Ourselves and Others: innovative community partnership at Seven Oaks Tertiary Mental Health Facility in the Blenkinsop Valley in Saanich providing therapeutic food growing opportunities
Donations to the Horticultural Fund will be used to provide grants to horticultural projects in Greater Victoria or added to the endowment fund at the Victoria Foundation to provide future benefits if specified by the donor. Donations to the endowment fund may also be made directly to the Victoria Foundation.
If you have a project in mind that you want support with a donation and would like to discuss this with one of our Board Members, please send an email with your phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of us will call you promptly.